Sunday, February 16, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary, Day 16

Do you remember your first edition war?  Did you win?

I've never really had an edition war.  Maybe one little edition skirmish.  For most of my gaming life, I've DMed for younger relatives, and they're cool with whatever I want to run - which, I should point out, has pretty much always been B/X or BECMI D&D. 

The only non-family group I've played in was the 2E group, which was run by a friend of a relative.  Now, I'm perfectly cool with playing 2E, but it isn't my game of choice, so when I finally worked up the nerve to suggest DMing for a while, I wanted to port in some of my favorite stuff from BECMI.  (Some of those things, like weapon mastery, are no longer among my favorite things, but that's neither here nor there.) 

I have no idea how most of the group liked it, because they didn't remark upon it - at least not to me.  Soon thereafter, the usual leader of the group told me no more hybrid, it was straight 2E or nothing.  That was the last time I DMed anything for that group, not because I was hell-bent on doing things my way, but because I was rather mortified at the rebuke.  (Social anxiety disorder is a cruel beast.)

No comments :

Post a Comment